Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fatherly Advice

There's no shortage of people giving out good advice.  You can turn a loss into a win by learning from it or watch how you treat your mother because thats how you'll treat other women.  A new broom sweeps clean or one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Then there's the timeless advice that I was given by father growing up.  My dad had two rules to live by that he constantly reminded us kids through speech and practice.  I should preface this by saying that my dad has a degree in biblical studies and several years of post secondary business training.  His timeless advice that he wont hesitate to tell anybody who comes within earshot of him is "life's a race and always wear a funny hat".

In an effort to make him happy my sister and I would hurry through tasks paying little attention to details all while wearing what we thought were funny hats.  He used to wear one of those hats that have an actual clock on the front with the saying "keeping ahead of time".  Winter is when my dad really shines because when a funny hat is your goal then the world is yours for the taking.  There are raccoon hats, jester hats, santa hats, elf hats and even those novelty ear muffs would fall under the definition of a funny hat.  The more that he could embarrass his kids the better.

When life's a race then your day has to start at 5:00AM.  Which when your a teenager those hours are only open for business if you haven't gone to sleep yet.  Having prefaced the advice with my fathers education I feel as though I should conclude with his occupation, which was a grain farmer for over 30 years.  Wearing funny hats and being in a hurry are part of the job description although I must admit that few farmers actually wear the funny hat on purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I am just picturing uncle right now! He would always show up at our house wearing a funny hat!

    ReplyDelete