Friday, October 16, 2009

Pro Athlete

The dream of every elite pro athlete is to retire after winning a championship while they are still a first rate player. On the other hand there are a lot of pro athletes that love the game and want to play it as long as they can and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. They will bounce around from team to team hardly getting any playing time but still hanging around the game they love. Most of these players hope to transition into coaches. Helping out the younger players in a mentoring role is a great way to achieve this.

Not me. I consider myself one of the greats in my sport and a real professional that wants to go out on the top of my game. My worst nightmare would be being remembered as the person who had a good run but was a shadow of their former self in the latter years of his career. Why not play a second game of scrabble against my wife? Because I won the first game!

Upon victory I quickly realized that I would never be able to repeat. My brain has a governor on it that limits me to focusing on 3 and 4 letter words. Sometimes I'll add an "s" or "er" and take the points of the larger word but usually those words weren't my original creation. You can tell that I've being playing scrabble because the board usually consists of either tools or things that I can actually see around me such as saw, sander, cup, lamp, shoe. How I won the game I'm not entirely sure. Cat on triple word score does add up I discovered. Maybe someday I'll put my title on the line but for now I'm 99.9% sure I'll stay retired.


No comments:

Post a Comment